RTC Forums
April 29, 2024, 07:26:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DNS load balancing and fail over  (Read 3385 times)
zsleo
RTC Expired

« on: July 12, 2012, 12:32:37 PM »

I want to publish a single Domain Name for a web service (say https://appname.domainame.com)

The application that it resolves to will hosted on multiple geographically located servers (say City01, City02 and City03).

Using the Domain Name https://appname.domainame.com must act as a load balancer and fail over between the physical servers and must published from at least 2 datacentres and if possible 3 or more datacentres.

Can this be done using RTC and if so what do you recommend:

Regards

Zane
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:15:49 PM »

Take a closer look at Load Balancer Projects in the RTC SDK Demos folder (there are 3) to see which one best suits your needs.

Please note that these are NOT commercial Load Balancer implementations, but just examples of where you can start if you want to implement a Load Balancer with the RTC SDK. For example, you will probably want to add SSL support by using 3rd-party encryption components, provide a better way for configuring the Load Balancer and move the implementation from a Form to a DataModule, so you can convert the Project into a Windows Service.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
zsleo
RTC Expired

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:32 AM »

Thanks, Danijel.

I did look at those examples. The requirement is more multi-site DNS fail over with a single domain name registration. The load balancing is a nice secondary outcome.

I have done more research and it appears that software based solution in high volume commercial environment is not recommended.

Looks like hardware based Global Traffic Manager technology is the way forward. Very expensive...

Regards

Zane
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: