RTC Forums
April 28, 2024, 10:22:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linked Objects & DB components  (Read 3750 times)
zsleo
RTC Expired

« on: May 17, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »

Danijel

This all sounds good - you should have seen this one coming from me... <grin>

Can I use database access components with the Linked Objects functionality?

Am I wrong or is Linked Objects a replacement for RTC WAF?

TIA

Zane
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »

Hi Zane,

1) There are no reasons why you shouldn't be able to access the database using the Linked Objects functionality, just like you can access anything else available on the Server when calling Remote Functions.

The advantage of using "Linked Objects" is that you have actual objects on the Server for each object on the Client-side and these objects can communicate with each other as if they were directly connected. The disadvantage of "Linked Objects" is obviously increased memory requirement for the Server, since actual objects will be "living" inside Servers Memory - for as long as the Client needs them. But I think that  increased memory needs for the Server will get less "problematic" when Delphi Projects can be compiled into native 64bit Windows executables (see Delphi 64-bit Compiler Sneak Preview).

2) "RTC Linked Objects" is the foundation on which "RTC WAF" (or "RTC VCL") could later be implemented, but I wouldn't call it a replacement for "RTC WAF" because it won't include a complete set "Linked Object implementations". It is simply functionality which makes it easier to implement paired classes living in separate spaces (one inside a Server Application, the other inside a Client Application).

But, unlike the original "RTC WAF" (or "RTC VCL") implementation, "RTC Linked Objects" doesn't set any expectations on the actual object implementations nor communication channels.

"RTC WAF" had a number of interfaces which needed to be implemented and its implementation was pretty much tight to the RTC SDK, while the new "RTC Linked Objects" feature only provides classes which you can use and contracts which you should follow.

"RTC WAF" also required the use of two separate physical connections for each Client, one of which has to be open all the time and waiting on the Server, which sets a rather high burden on the Server. "RTC Linked Objects", on the other hand, can happily live with a single connection and that connection is only required when a Client has something to send to the Server. Everything the Server needs to do, can be done while processing a request from the Client, so there is no need for a separate physical connection from the Client sitting on the Server all the time.

In other words, "RTC Linked Objects" is a more light-weight and general-purpose approach than "RTC WAF".

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
zsleo
RTC Expired

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »

Thanks, Danijel.

I will give it a good try-out

Zane
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: