RTC Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: RTC-DS  (Read 11055 times)
Walter
RTC License++

« on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:56 PM »

Looking forward to learning more about 'RTC-DS'....  is there anything more you can tell us at this time?

Walter

D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »

The idea behind RTC DS (RealThinClient DeltaSource) is to provide a set of components which would give you a standardized way for working with remote databases without binding you to a specific in-memory storage component on the Client side or a specific set of direct database access components on the Server side.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
gsaunders

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:42 AM »

Danijel,

How close is the RTC-DS to being released?  Is there a beta group I could join?

Thanks,

Greg
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »

I can't say how close or far RTC DS is to being released (especially since "close" is a relative term), but there will be a public announcement on these Forums once RTC DS is ready for beta testing.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
Kevin Powick
RTC Expired

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »

Just to clarify, RTC-DS would be a solution only viable if both the client and the server were Delphi/RTC applications, correct?  If so, it would not be an approach to use in an environment with heterogeneous clients.

Kevin

Linux is only free if your time is worthless
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »

That is correct. RTC DS is going to be an additional layer on top of the RTC SDK (using RTC remote functions) with the purpose to allow you to easily use TDataSet descendant components in Delphi to communicate with a Database located on the Server. The same functionality can already be achieved directly through RTC remote functions with a bit of coding and any in-memory DataSet implementation.

But ... if you are looking for something to work with heterogeous systems, you are better off using the RTC SDK directly, either by utilizing RTC remote functions over XML-RPC (or JSON - once it is implemented), or by using RTC DataProvider components.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
gsaunders

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »

Just to clarify, RTC-DS would be a solution only viable if both the client and the server were Delphi/RTC applications, correct?  If so, it would not be an approach to use in an environment with heterogeneous clients.

Kevin

Thanks for bringing this up... I was thinking it would also help package things up at the server in a standard way and could be consumed via REST interface or through client vcl.
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »

I was thinking it would also help package things up at the server in a standard way and could be consumed via REST interface or through client vcl.

You can do this with the RTC SDK already, you do NOT need to wait for RTC DS to package things in a standard way. The only purpose of RTC DS is to simplify things when the Client is written in Delphi.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
gsaunders

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »

I was thinking it would also help package things up at the server in a standard way and could be consumed via REST interface or through client vcl.

You can do this with the RTC SDK already, you do NOT need to wait for RTC DS to package things in a standard way. The only purpose of RTC DS is to simplify things when the Client is written in Delphi.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec

Yes... I understand.  But originally I was thinking the RTC DS was going to add this ability... and if it was going to have this ability and was going to be released very soon why re-invent the wheel.  But this isn't the case... RTC DS doesn't do this so I'll roll my own if RTC becomes my product of choice for this. 
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »

Just for the info ... I've renamed "RTC DS" (RealThinClient Delta Source) to "RTC DBA" (RealThinClient DataBase Access). I hope the new name will better suit the purpose of the components (once released).

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
Kevin Powick
RTC Expired

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 01:49:22 AM »

Just for the info ... I've renamed "RTC DS" (RealThinClient Delta Source) to "RTC DBA" (RealThinClient DataBase Access). I hope the new name will better suit the purpose of the components (once released).

I would just go with RTC DA (Data Access).  Same effect, but a little more encompassing than "Database".

--
Kevin Powick

D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 02:36:47 AM »

I think "Data Access" is a bit too general, just like "Delta Source" was. I also think that it can't hurt to have "DB" as part of the name for a product whose main purpose will be remote database access.

PS. RTC SDK can be used for "Data Access", but there are no Database-specific components included. RTC DBA is going to fill that space.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
Kevin Powick
RTC Expired

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 02:47:44 AM »

RTC DBA is going to fill that space.

No problem.  It's just that when I see "DBA", I automatically think of its most common usage in the IT industry, which is, Database AdministratorSmiley

--
Kevin Powick

D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:58 AM »

Since Database Administration will be one of the things RTC DBA is going to be used for, it's not a bad association Smiley

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
Michael
RTC License++

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »

DBA:). This is not so far away...most the guys I have motivated to use FPC are DBAs...
Mike
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: