RTC Forums
April 19, 2024, 06:31:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the Gateway components  (Read 3917 times)
Dany
RTC License++

« on: July 04, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »

I have looked through the samples for the gateway components in the RTC SDK.

I would like to put up a gateway on a server with an RDBMS (or a RDBMS on another server on an internal network). I would like to incorporate a gateway client in my users client application. I'm thinking that each user's instance (a connection via a set of DAC components) would spawn some new "tunnel" to the server gateway and the gateway a connection to the RDBMS. Today the DAC components communicates with the RDBMS over TCP/IP. The benefit would be to shun any VPN solution specific to each of my clients. Also an administrator would be able to accept or disallow client certificates (once per user machine setup).

However, i have no idea where to start. Is it possible? Is it advisable?

Thank you in advance,

/Dany
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »

What you are describing sounds like a TCP/IP tunnel over HTTP/S.

If that's what you want, then you should look for products designed for tunneling TCP/IP traffic over HTTP/S, because all higher-level components from the RTC SDK are HTTP/S-based and there's nothing in the RTC SDK which you could simply "use" to tunnel TCP/IP traffic over HTTP/S.

It would probably be possible to implement TCP/IP tunneling over HTTP/S using low-level RTC components/classes, but ... unless you are a student with a lot of free time looking for a challenge, I wouldn't really advise it.

PS. If you want my personal opinion on TCP/IP tunneling over HTTP/S, even though it could be used as a "quick patch" to get some older TCP/IP-based Applications running over HTTP/S (minimize problems with HTTP/S proxies?), it's NOT something I would advise as a long-term solution.
Dany
RTC License++

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 04:55:18 PM »

I see  Sad. Bummer  Cool.

Thank you very much for your input!

Regards,

/Dany
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: