RTC Forums
May 02, 2024, 02:40:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blank screen running in a VM  (Read 3837 times)
DavidG
RTC License++

« on: November 19, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

Using the wonderful demo product you have ... I have installed the gateway on a server, the host on a computer connected to the network the server is on, and I have accessed the network with ANY CONNECT through a VmWare VM running Windows 7.,  When I run the control.exe or the viewer.exe on the VM I log into the server ok.  If i look at the server I see both the host and the control VM as active in the gateway.

When I lock on viewdesktop on the control program, I see a loading initial screen, then I get a completely white, blank screen with a tiny round cursor.

What am I doing wrong and how can I correct this?  I want to do some teaching and am not very mobile, so using your Portal product looks like the best alternative...

thank you
 and best regards,
Haven't chatted in years (I will be 86 in December and am still working as a programmer ... even getting better at it)

David Guest
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »

Hi David.

You must be talking about RTC Portal, which was discontinued and released on GitHub:
http://www.realthinclient.com/rtc-portal-discontinued-and-released-on-github/

If you look at the bottom of the README file on GitHub, you will see this disclaimer: THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT SUPPORT AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Anyway ... there are two possible reasons for the "white screen". One is that the RTC Host process does NOT have sufficient access rights to capture the Desktop Window (for example, if RTC Host is running as a normal Application inside a "locked" Desktop Session). The other is that the Desktop Window was closed by another process.

In both cases, the solution is to configure and install the RTC Host as a Windows Service (if it wasn't already), then restart the machine where the RTC Host Service is running and make sure that you do NOT use any other software for remote desktop access to view or control that machine. Otherwise, you will need to restart the machine again to make RTC Host work when you close the other remote desktop software, or lock the Desktop Session, or log the user out from a Desktop Session - all of which could result in the other remote desktop software to close the Desktop Window.

Also, make sure to place the "aw_sas32.dll" file into the same folder as the RTC Host executable, so you can execute <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> and log in. And ... if you plan on using the Host more frequently, you might want to install and enable the Video Mirror Driver, which can reduce CPU usage on the Host. See my notes about that in the README file on GitHub:
https://github.com/DTkalcec/portal

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: