RTC Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:46:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux support?  (Read 4469 times)
AndreFM
RTC Expired

« on: April 14, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »

Hi Daniel,
Do you plan to support linux (Delphi 10.2) in near future?
Thx
Best regards
Andre
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:26:15 PM »

Even though RTC SDK v8 should compile for Linux (it uses POSIX sockets when compiled with Delphi 10.2, or BSD sockets when compiled with FPC), I do NOT plan on adding Linux to the list of supported platforms.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
jaenicke
RTC Expired

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »

Hi Danijel,

we wanted to move from Datasnap to RTC...

Without Linux support we will have to continue to use Datasnap at least for central server access. Even on the clients with solutions as fmxlinux coming I do not know how we will continue there.

At the moment we have already replaced Datasnap with RTC in our P2P solution between our clients. Now we wanted to replace Datasnap for server access too, but stumbled across this post before...

Unfortunately it seems there is no all-in-one solution available at the moment, which officially supports client and server on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS. Looking at Datasnap, RTC, RO Remoting SDK or mORMot, every solution does not support at least one platform of this list.

Best regards,
Sebastian
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »

Maybe I wasn't clear in my reply above. There is a difference between platform support and compatibility. As far as I can tell (based on my tests with Godzilla BETA), RTC SDK v8.0 (2017.Q2) should be compatible with Linux, but ... I will NOT be providing support for using the RTC SDK with Linux.

Anyway ... if you need your Applications to run on Linux, I would recommend you to make a few Test Projects using any components you can get your hands on before making your final decision about the component set to use. I'm not saying that DataSnap is bad. In fact, I have absolutely no personal experience with DataSnap or any other component set available out there, but I do think that you shouldn't simply trust what is being advertised as "supported".

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
jaenicke
RTC Expired

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »

Ok, thank you for the clarification.
I was not sure how "should compile" was meant.

In this case we will use RTC everywhere in this project.

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Sebastian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: