RTC Forums
April 19, 2024, 03:49:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XE8 Issue  (Read 4901 times)
SevenOut
RTC Expired

« on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »

I moved an production iOS project from XE7 to XE8 and am now having my iOS app lose connection to the host Windows server frequently.  The app built in XE7 with a slightly earlier SDK version (6.42 maybe 6.48) works just fine connecting to the same server on the same network.  The project was simply moved from XE7 to XE8 and recompiled with no code or component changes on my part other than third-party components updated for XE8 (like RTC).

Some info about the iOS app:
Using RTC SDK 6.54
RtcHttpClient + RtcClientModule + RtcResult

RtcHttpClient Properties:
MultiThreaded = True
ReconnectOn = All True
TimeOut AfterConnecting = 5;
No events have code

RtcClientModule Properties:
AutoRepost = 2
AutoSessions = True
AutoSessionsPing = 0
AutoSyncEvents = True
No events have code

RtcResult Properties:
OnRequestAborted = Shows a dialog that the connection was lost.
OnReturn = Data is processed.

Connection is established by setting the server IP address and setting RtcHttpClient.AutoConnect = True.

The iOS app communicates with a Windows server that also uses RTC components (although they are a much old SDK version).  The server was built in Delphi 2007.  The iOS app and the server connect over a local network and never over the Internet.

I've tried compiling the app as 32bit only, 64bit only and Universal.  No difference either way.

Sometimes the app can't establish a connection at all.  Other times it will connect and then lose the connection after a short time.  The app sends commands to the server every 1 seconds to check for things the server needs the app to work on.  So there should always be a connection established between the app and the server at all times.

I'm not sure what to do to solve this.  I've changed nothing in the app from XE7 to XE8 other than the RTC version.  I no longer have XE7 installed to try the newest SDK.  Any advise would be appreciated!

Scott
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »

Try downgrading to the version which has been working for you on XE7 (6.42 or 6.48) to see how it works with 32bit iOS when compiled using XE8. But I don't see why any one of the later RTC SDK updates would result in connection problems, since there have NOT been any significant changes in the RTC SDK between 6.42 and 6.54, except for 64-bit iOS support, which was simply a matter of adding some compiler defines for the new platform.

Provided your infrastructure and hardware have not changed, your Apps which have been working fine with RTC SDK v6.42 compiled with XE7 should continue working fine when compiled with the latest RTC SDK version using XE8.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
SevenOut
RTC Expired

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:37:55 PM »

That was on my "to do" list for today.  I'll let you know.

Scott
SevenOut
RTC Expired

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »

Going back to 6.42 did not fix anything.

I'm starting to wonder if my XE8 install is bad.  I get out of memory errors all the time.  I can't seem to compile a Universal app because the compiler will throw an Internal Error during the second compile.  It first does the 64-bit compile just fine and then does the 32-bit compile and throws the error.  I can compile 32-bit alone just fine and 64-bit alone just fine.  Just not a Universal.  Sometimes pressing F1 to get help will throw and out of memory error.  Other times I get various errors for no reason.  Even though I don't do anything with Android right now, the SDK manager complains that the Android SDK is missing certain utility programs.  I'm beginning to wonder if I have a bad XE8 install.  I think I might completely uninstall XE8 and reinstall.  Then only install the few 3rd party components I need for my app and try again.

Ever heard of anything like this before?  I can't seems to find anyone else with this kind of problem.

Scott
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »

No, I haven't had these kinds of problems with my XE8 install, but ...

1. I'm not using XE8 actively for development. Only to run tests.

2. I do not use any 3rd-party plug-ins for the IDE, nor any 3rd-party components

3. I keep the global System PATH variable clean and use a separate CMD file to start each IDE (I have 12 Delphi versions installed on my development machine and a few other IDEs as well). The CMD file only adds folders to the System PATH variable which are relevant to that specific IDE, making sure there are no "overlapping" files from folders used by other IDEs.

Best Regars,
Danijel Tkalcec
SevenOut
RTC Expired

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:18:04 AM »

I don't have any other Delphi versions installed.  I used to have XE7 installed but uninstalled it.  XE8 is the only Delphi version installed.

Scott
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 12:41:48 AM »

I guess that means all XE7 folders have been removed completely and the System PATH variable cleaned up. In that case, provided there are no 3rd-party IDE plugins or 3rd-party components which might be messing up the IDE, I guess the problem is either a bad IDE install or something other related to Windows. Like missing user permissions, making some IDE files inaccessible or not writeable. I've had a problem caused by missing permissions with one of the older IDE versions. The fastest way for me to solve that problem was to run the IDE "as Administrator". I don't remember which IDE version it was, though (not XE8).

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
SevenOut
RTC Expired

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:19:23 PM »

Yes, all XE7 folders are gone.  The PATH variable only have XE8 related paths.  Never had permissions problems with any XE version before on this computer.  I'm going to uninstall, cleanup, and re-install and see if it's any better.

Thanks
Scott
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: