RTC Forums
May 05, 2024, 03:43:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI: peer-to-peer  (Read 3832 times)
Chris
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »

Hello,

Can I use rtc to make a peer-to-peer app running on port 80 with variable clients? A directory service points to other clients, but they don't have port 80 open. Just like skype....

Chris
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »

You can use the RTC SDK in any way you want and use any port you want. If your specific requirements make it impossible to use port 80 but another port is available, use another Port. It's a simple property on the TRtcHttpClient and TRtcHttpServer components. There is also nothing limiting the number of clients a RTC Server can handle. It can be only one client or thousands of clients.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
Chris
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:29:44 AM »

Hi Danijel,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am not an expert however I wrote webservices, client-server apps. But my question is: How can I contact with another RTC Remote Server that is running as software behind a firewall? This peer has published himself in a directory but if no port is open how can I connect? Can I pick up a connection? Or do I need to pass calls via a 'open' server?
D.Tkalcec (RTC)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »

If your Clients need to communicate with your Server over the Internet, then you need to configure the firewall on the Server side (LAN where the Server PC is running) to forward incoming connections to the PC and Port where your Server app is listening. If the Port on which your Server app is listening is blocked by a firewall, only Clients from inside Servers LAN would be able to connect to the Server.

And second, for any Client to connect to the Server, it either needs to (A) open its own firewalls to allow outgoing connections to the Server through the Port on which the Server is listening (a direct connection), or (B) be configured to work with a HTTP Proxy which would act as a mediator between the Client and the Server, allowing the Client to communicate with the Server without opening more Ports on its Firewalls.

Best Regards,
Danijel Tkalcec
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: